Thursday, September 11, 2008

Training

So, Will and I started a training course this past Sunday, here in the states, to prep us for our trip abroad. The course is 15 weeks long, is going to give us a little history of service overseas, and how to approach new cultures and communities with grace and dignity. I was a little frustrated about being required to take this course. Actually, I was really frustrated. Growing up in Philly, and living in such a diverse community, I was prideful enough to think I didn't need to know any more than what I already live. However, last night a group of friends of mine gathered and we talked about wisdom. A friend brought a quote from a great book that said:

"Wisdom is first of all pure, then peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow peace, raise a harvest of righteousness."

This idea was very humbling, as I realized that I did not have ANY of these feelings about my training course, and acquiring new wisdom in this area. Something to be praying about for sure....

This week, Will and I also learned that we'll be doing some orientation in Pune (W. India) before we had up and over to Dehradun. I've added a link on the left so you all can check things out.

Lastly, we're still at $0 as far as fundraising goes, with $7000 to go. Continue to pray that financial support will come in, and of course contribute if you are able. We can only do it with help from our friends and family.

Much peace and love to you all,
Lauren

2 comments:

Joshua Grace said...

sounds like a great moment at the training. i have some similar moments in a class of 19yr olds discussing Social Inequality in the US.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lauren. You had talked about your frustration with the training course, but it sounds like God is talking to you in the midst of it all....and that you are listening, which is just as important. Your honesty, transparency, and willingness to change (a.k.a. grow) is challenging and encouraging. Thanks again for sharing with the rest of us this journey God has both of you on. It's a real blessing. Peace, David