Sunday, January 25, 2009

Surprise, Surprise

Friday was my last day of work. I've been teaching for 8 years, and have therefore had 8 summers off, but it feels very different ending a school year alone. I realized on my last day that the I would miss graduation, and the kids I'd been teaching since they were 10, would not be there in the fall. Why hadn't I realized this sooner? I was also reminded that my friends Kim & Kim, who are expecting their first baby, would be delivering while I was in India. Seeing a new baby over skype, just isn't the same as being around for the excitement of waiting for a new child to arrive.

It was especially hard for me, because some of my littlest students, the 3-5 year olds, simply didn't understand that I would be gone for a while, and then coming back. They didn't understand why I was hugging them with tears in my eyes, or if they did get that I was going. Some thought that I would be gone for good, and acted out in protest. Many of my little ones, simply don't have enough language to get it all yet. Next week may be a hard transition for some of them, and I wish Jess (the awesome gal who is replacing me) blessings of patience during that time.

At the end of my work day, I really almost lost it, when my supervisor Marcia came looking for me to make sure we got a hug goodbye. It's a great feeling when someone comes looking for you. I was on my way down to say goodbye, but having Marcia rush up the steps to see me, evoked a very strong feeling of being cared for, and looked after. Marcia has helped me so much in this process of leaving for my sabbatical, and it felt really good to be sent off with her excitement and blessings.

After a very emotional day at work, I got a call from my dad saying he had just been downtown, and wanted to stop by with a little something. I was eager to see dad, and was sure I would cry as soon as I could get my arms around him. As I was waiting for him to arrive at my house, I looked out the front door and saw a girl walking up my steps. It took me a few seconds, and I'm pretty sure I cursed out of shock....it was my sister! I pulled the door open, threw my arms around Kerry, and promptly starting crying....sobbing. Mike, Kerry's husband was right behind her, and I think I reached out my hand, to wave at him while continuing to borough my head in Kerry's shoulder drenching her zip-up hoody. What a great moment.

My sneaky, and absolutely fabulous, Aunt Barb, helped organize this surprise, which I am eternally greatful for. As you may have read in the past few blogs, Kerry and Mike, were snowed in over the holidays, and were unable to make it to Philly for Christmas.
Kerry is here until Monday, and I am loving every moment with her.

-Lauren

4 comments:

Joshua Grace said...

that's really sweet

walkingontravels said...

ha-ha! Got you. Love you too sissy! See you in the AM.

the lure of wealth said...

Hey guys. thats a really sweet story. Sounds like a lot of emotions comign to the surface right before you leave. Jenna and I will miss you two a lot. We'll keep up with your adventures while you are away. See you in little while.

brooke said...

oh my goodness! that's awesome! enjoy your time together! thinking of you guys and praying for you as your journey continues. like the talk on sunday, the safest place to be is right where Jesus is calling you. proud to call you guys friends.