Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Hey Everyone,
the electricity has been on and off over the past 12 hours or so, due to thunderstorms but has now cleared and I am at the local internet cafe. The cool thing is that because of the wind, the smog blew out and we can actually see the mountains. For the first day or so Will and I thought the mountains must be far away because we couldn't see them. They're actually quite close, and we are eager to head up to them soon.
For the past few days I've been visiting all of the programs that fall under the Latika Roy foundation. This includes an Early Intervention Programs, an elementary school for children with special needs, an inclusive after school program, and a training program for teachers and parents. The foundation hosts several other programs including a vocational training school for older children, a women's craft center, and a thrift store. I have plans to see those as well towards the end of the week. So far I've been tapped into to do some some workshops on cross curriculum work with the teachers, and positive behavior approaches for both the parents and teachers. There also seems to be a general need for more art supports and ideas in each program, and I'm challenged on what kinds of projects to do with limited resources. I have a feeling I will become an expert on environmental and recycled art by the time I am done here.
Will has been over at the People's Science Institute with Ravi, and has already been to a conference about water. Ravi would like Will to take on a project focusing on sustainable housing for all income levels. This includes the shacks in the slums all the way up to the most opulent home. I don't think I'm doing the description justice, and will encourage Will to elaborate further when he has access to the Internet.
We have TONS of pictures already, including ones of our home, town, the schools I have visited and the children we have met. The pictures of the children are of course especially fun and I am eager to share them. I apologize for not posting them sooner. I meant to work on them last night, but with the power outage was unable to.

Some fun things:
-Saw my first monkeys yesterday.
-Haven't been hassled by the men here. Stares yes, but no "bumping".
-Used my first squat pot. Not too bad.
-Drinking a real Latte (very hard to find) with Ravi, Moy-Moy, and Mr. McGowan by candle light at Jo and Ravi's home.

That's it from me,
Happy Birthday Mom!!!
Lauren

5 comments:

Joshua Grace said...

you made me think of hatchy getting attacked by a monkey!

brooke said...

i'm so excited to get glimpses of your life there! yeah for squat pots! ha! :)

Lauren Stichter said...

i actually got pooped on by a monkey on our honeymoon;-)good luck for starting a new marriage. i think will was most impressed that his wife didn't freak out.

walkingontravels said...

So where are the pics of the monkeys! It's my dream to see a wild monkey. They keep trying to get them for me when I go to Singapore but they are only out in the parks really early in the AM and at night cause it's cooler then. They hide in the trees the rest of the time :-(

brooke said...

oh, want to add that i'll be praying that God will continue to bless you (as he has throughout your life and teaching career thus far) with creativity and wisdom related to the lack of resources! can't wait to see/hear what you and God come up with!