Thursday, February 26, 2009

Working well with others

So I think I'm getting past the honeymoon phase here at the different sites I'm working with. This is a good thing. The staff seems to be getting more comfortable with me and aren't afraid to ask for where they need supports in their class. I like this kind of relationship as it helps give me more direction.

I've also started to see bits of American Sign Language being used over here. Today I caught the ASL versions of "Thank you & your welcome" being used by some of the students. What was really nice was that these children were not all deaf, but they were using sign language in class to be considerate of those who were deaf, or needed a more visual way of communicating.

What's still hard is the children who have Autism. There is such a huge range within the autistic spectrum and some of the children here are hitting themselves for stimulation. We have children who do this at my school in the states too, and it's always daunting to hear the slap of a child's hand against their own face, or even worse the crack of their knuckles on their cheek or forehead. At my school back home I've only seen some head banging, and often helmets are given to these children until a substitute can be found for the stimulation. But here I've seen mostly face hitting which is just terrible to watch. I know that all of the staff here are working as hard and as quickly as they can to find a substitute for this kind of behavior and I hope I can be a part of that process.

4 comments:

Joshua Grace said...

those are tough moments. post honeymoon is where love really grows into more than a feeling. (not a Boston song reference)

Unknown said...

Hey Will and Lauren! I've just read most of your entries and it sounds like you're learning a lot about the culture and yourselves. Let us know how we can be praying for you as you continue on your journey there.
Angela

Jo Chopra McGowan said...

Lauren, I hope you know we are more than open to any suggestions you might have to deal with these distressing behaviors!

I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

It's been a real treat reading about your experiences and adventures of late. So much is happening! The children are lovely, and the encounters you describe belie some divine meddling (which is the best sort). It's clear that you were made for them and they for you and this time for you all together, and it's also clear that you are embracing it and being embraced.

So hopefully this finds you well today. You are much missed, and loved, and cheered for in the quiet distance.

many blessings,
david