Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Potatos & Coffee






OK so we tried some potato prints with the older kids. I brought thick coffee water, as I wasn't sure if they would have paints. However, coffee is way expensive over here so bringing that seemed like....not a viable resource to them. Paint came out though and we got rolling on decorating some envelopes the kids were already working.
Although the coffee incident was a bit embarrassing it did prompt one teacher and I to have a really good discussion. I have to bring something to this group of older kids 4 times a week, and I have no idea what I'm working with. I realized I could either suffer in silence or I could speak up and ask "so, what are you looking for?". I've come to realize that folks in India tend to be either overly polite (giving directions when they don't know the real way to go;-), or very direct and I'd rather the very direct approach. Once I took the risk of asking the question I was taken on a tour of all of the materials available and the staff and I started to brainstorm ideas of what we can do. This was VERY helpful. I also am loving that some folks in the states are emailing over ideas.Keep them coming! Along with the pictures of our stamping time I've posted a picture of some weaving I'm trying out with an old sari. The loom is made out of an old, thick folder, and I cut long strips from the sari to weave through. I think this could become a table runner.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think "sorry" is spelled sari

Joshua Grace said...

those prints rock!

Bruce Walsh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce Walsh said...

What I meant to say was... that it's really amazing reading about you working through those difficulties, and I'm so proud of the work you're doing there. Miss you much.

Anonymous said...

First of all i would like to praise your good work, i found you people down to earth. i am myself an indian and really love your work, its hard to belive that with such a little initiative such results can be obtained.

E Tuck said...

maybe saris and dupatas to make (fashionable) reversible baby slings?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lauren. I don't know all of the things you have tried but here is a fun one I've done several times. http://home.howstuffworks.com/art-crafts2.htm
It's messy, but a lot of fun. :)
~Katie in UD

Lauren Stichter said...

I am loving these ideas! thanks gang;-)

Jenna Avellino said...

I love your idea of weaving with old saris! could you make rugs as well? like braided rag rug style? tie dying could be fun, too if you can find something other than the coffee to dye with.

Keep up the good work! You are loved and missed.

love,
jenna