Thursday, April 30, 2009

105 Degrees

Yup, that's how hot it is right now. If Will and I come home looking a little thinner in a few months, you'll know why.

Other than the heat, things are moving along well here. I hope to be posting pictures over the weekend of what the kids and I have been doing:
-Cardboard Fruits and Veggies
-Newspaper Weaving
-Paper Mache
-Straw blowing Watercolors
-Cereal Box Stencils
-Paper Rattles
-Paper Dolls
-Cardboard Looms

Amazingly I've only got 2 weeks left with the students here, as schools let out on May 15th for a holiday and then later resume for a summer session. This means I only have 2 or 3 more classes with each group of kids that I work with. It feels like it came up suddenly, and I'm now in the process of thinking what I'm leaving for this program after I've gone back to the states. I've been thinking about creating posters of all of the projects we did based on theme. I think big visuals would be best as it would make the ideas accessible to both the teachers and students. It's been tricky because my pictures are kind of all over the place right now. Originally I was keeping folders of pictures for each site that I worked at, as I do love keeping organized;-), but the recovery process of the photos has left things scattered.

I got to hear from my housemate Brooks last night. It's hard to believe I haven't heard her voice in over 3 months. She says that the house is doing well, with a little help from my Mom and Dad, and that our cat Mia has been sleeping with Brooks since we left. I think Will misses Mia more than I do, he actually mentions her from time to time. It's nice to know that Brooks, her daughter Emma, and our friend Jess are looking after things while we're away.

Will misses the Phillies, and has begun to mention this fact quite often. We've been getting reports of friends attending games including one where our buddies Matt and Scott attempted to eat one $1 dog per inning. Alas, they "were vanquished by the encased meat and only made it to 6"-Will. We're proud of their efforts though, and like to think one of those dogs was eaten in honor of Will's absence.

Go Phils!
Lauren

3 comments:

hatchy said...

every hot dog is eaten in honor of willis. uh, wait, is that weird? you were both missed, for sure. maybe watch some cricket and eat weird snacks to make up for it.

willi$ said...

cricket and weird snacks will be consumed in your honor, hatchy. there is an indian cricket tournament going on here (well, actually in south africa, but that's a whole other story) and it's on every tv i see... plus, masala everything.

hatchy said...

aw yeah. you gotta tells us all about it.