Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A picture for Pop-Pop



So...on the Ingalls side of the family when my grandpa took his family on vacation, apparently he often dragged my dad and his siblings around to different war sites, and the tradition was to take pictures of the kids on the cannons.

In Jaipur there is a fort that holds the worlds largest cannon on wheels.
"The Jaivana (Hindi: जयवाण) cannon is the largest wheeled cannon ever constructed. It is located at the Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur. It was cast in 1720, during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II of Jaipur. The formidable strength of its builder, the scientifically inclined warrior Sawai Jai Singh II, lay in the large number of artillery and copious supply of munitions which he maintained.

Jaivan rests on a high 4 wheeled carriage. The front wheels are 2.74 m in diameter and the rear wheels are 1.37 m in diameter." (quote and top picture from Wikipedia)

I am not standing with this cannon in my picture;-) I am standing with a small cannon at the Amber Fort which is just below the Jaiharh fort. I really wanted to go check out the biggest cannon, as I felt it was my duty as an Ingalls gal, but quite frankly it was just to hot and too far away. I got close though and I hope Pop-Pop is looking down from heaven, laughing at the fact that I couldn't make it up the hill, but at least admiring me for my efforts. And hey, I did get a picture with a cannon in India.

No comments: