Sunday, June 14, 2009

Dazzling Denmark




Where the friends are warm, the air is cool, the cheese is stinky and the bread is yummy crusty.
We are having a fabulous time here in Copenhagen. We are staying with our friend Johanna and the first night at her flat we slept for 11 hours. In the morning we met up with our friends Jan and Sarah (shown above) for brunch and then to a walking tour of the town. We also jumped on a touristy boat ride just for kicks.
For those of you who don't know, Will spent a semester here studying architecture, which is how he met so many of these lovely friends. I am excited to meet many of them for the first time after hearing about them for the past 6 years. Johanna I had met before and if you remember back in our blog to February, Johanna was actually our first visitor in India. It's great to be in her home and in this beautiful town.

Will and I aren't experiencing any culture shock per say, but we are giggling about some differences. We look like most of the folks around us, so there's a lot less staring going on. The streets feel almost empty and sometimes are, which we havn't felt in a while. There are traffic rules and people follow them. The streets are cleaner. Things are WAY more expensive, which I of course instantly miss India for;-). We would buy a weeks worth of fruits and veggies for about $3 in Dehra Dun, and here a bananna is about $2.
Everyone is dressed very well here, but part of me already misses the variety of style and color we had in India. I will say that in Copenhagen I simpley feel a bit more at ease. Maybe because the enviroment is more familiar, maybe it's because I don't need to haggle over every little thing that I need to buy, or maybe it's simpley because I don't stand out so much. It will be interesting to see how we process all of this as we make our way back to Philly, but I'm glad I have this outlet to think things out a bit, and I'm glad I have Will to talk things out with.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: