Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vacation Blogging

So Will and I admitted to each other that it's starting to feel kind of strange blogging about how easy and wonderful life is right now. We went from "it's 115 degrees today and I'm lugging around art supplies to 3 different sites, doing 5 different projects" to "today we sat in a garden and ate pastries". Not to say we aren't totally enjoying ourselves, because we certainly are;-), but maybe there's just a tiny bit of guilt knowing that so many never get a day off and here we are blogging about our days of lazy luxury. Is this culture shock?

I've also been thinking about how before India I was acutely aware that I lived life as though I was the main character in my own movie, and everyone else supported my story. But in India, it felt like I was a character in a much larger film, things were happening to me, I had less control and therefore couldn't always predict an outcome. IT feels good to be coming home with this new feeling and it's been something I've been longing for, for a while. I wanted this to be my next area of growth, and I'm very glad that this experience has shaken me out of my own little world into the greater earth, and plan, that God has created and given me the privilege to be a part of.

2 comments:

Chicu said...

i get what you mean, Lauren- about feeling incredibly fortunate, and then guilt-tripping over it all. But hey, if we can't star in our own movies..well, where else can we do that?

Anonymous said...

Lauren- you're so insightful thinking about possible readers and the affect your writing could have on them. honestly- i can't stand blogs were people are saying 'look at my super cool life and how great i am'- unfortunately 'blogging' generally leads to exaggerated self importance. its so beautiful that you noticed this before it happened to you.

its so important to remember every moment that there is struggle and turmoil in the world. just today- i was on a serious high from my show last night- but i saw Coleman's bus driver - he is Iranian and his family is still there. It looked like he hadn't slept for days. I had to ask if his family in Tehran was ok. he said yes and laughed at my ridiculously horse voice.

how could i talk about rock shows at that moment? life isn't a show- sharing your happiness and sorrow in real life is what matters-

and thank you for allowing everyone to experience your tremendous growth. and more over, thank you for not letting this blog become 'the lauren show'. you know how to keep it real woman!

so much love to you.

ps- please tell Will i love the 'stache! it must make things exciting ;-)