Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Water Buffalo Burger




Many of you know that I use to be a waitress at a Bennigans in the states. I actually worked there for several years and it helped pay my way through college. Last year Bennigans went bankrupt in the states and closed it's doors, so we were very surprised to learn that it was still open here in Delhi. Will and I figured we should check it out and headed there with our friend CJ for a late dinner. This actually happened a little over a week ago while we were waiting to pick Kristin and Derek up from the airport, but we ate such an interesting meal I thought it was worth mentioning.
Will and I haven't had red meat, other than goat and lamb, since we left the states. So, when CJ said we could get a Water Buffalo Burger at Bennigans we figured we should go for it. As we waited for our burgers, eating a bennigans sampler of course (potato skins, mozzarella sticks and buffalo wings), my mouth began to water for the taste of a real burger.
Sadly when our burger arrived it was not what I had expected. Our Water Buffalo Burgers were dry and had obviously been previously frozen for some time. CJ ate all of hers, Will ate most of his, but I just couldn't help but feel that the burger tasted like the way the live Water Buffalo's smelled in person. We have a few in our neighborhood back in Dehra Dun, and the smell is so distinct....I just couldn't get through eating mine.
Our friend Scott Hatch keeps a blog about the burgers he eats (www.hamburgercalculus.com/blog/), and although this is far from a quality burger I think that maybe we should get a nod for trying it out;-)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Joshua Grace said...

it's too bad that nostalgia can't quite make up for frozen water buffalo!