Sunday, June 14, 2009

An eventful flight

Many of you know that I LOVE a good kid story. At home we keep "Emma quotes" on our refrigerator, and at school I have a wall of post-its in my classroom to document all of the awesome things that my students say and do.

On our half hour flight from Frankfurt to Zurich, to catch our connecting flight to Denmark, Will and I had 3 small children sitting behind us, with their mother sitting across the aisle. The little boy by the window was about 5, the middle seat contained a girl at about age 7 and in the last seat sat a little girl about aged 3. During takeoff the following conversation and continued for the duration of our flight:

Boy to his older sister-"Here come the clouds, you know what that means."

Older sister- "Be quiet, it's not going to happen this time".

Boy- "Yes it is. You always barf when we get above the clouds".

Older sister- "No I won't!"

Boy- "Here they come."

Older sister makes a loud barfing sound into her bag.

Boy- "Told you. Mom!!!"

Little sister- "I don't feel so good...."

Stewardess comes over to clean up the older sister. Things settle down and she hands them all a chocolate. Little sister barfs on stewardess.

Mom- "I'm SO sorry, let me clean that up. I'm so sorry"

Stewardess leaves to get help. Little sister begins to strip down and walks up and down the aisle naked.

Brother - "Mary's a naked dancer. Mary's a naked dancer"

Little sister starts to wiggle in the aisle as mom tries to put some new clothes on her.

Stewards and stewardesses rush to clean up the chair and aisle. Little sister sits back down. Mother leans over and barfs in her bag. Big sister does the same. Little sister starts crying.

Big Brother- "I told you so. You ALWAYS barf when we get above the clouds."

At this point I am laughing quietly to myself while Will is watching his feet to make sure puke isn't running into them.

The plane starts to descend.

Brother-"Uh Oh......"

Brother barfs and big sister laughs at him, and then barfs again in her bag. Just as we land, mother barfs. I am laughing hysterically at this point, but trying to be discreet, but it's just not working and now the people sitting in front of us are laughing too.

The plane lands and Will and I rush out into the aisle to get out of the plane before we get hurled on, leaving the little boy laughing in the background "I told you so, I told you so. It's always when the clouds come".

3 comments:

S. and J. Hoke said...

good thing you're not a community heaver.

lana bear said...

hilarious!!!!!! I LOVE IT!

brooke said...

oh my goodness! that is too funny! i'm glad the contagion didn't spread to your row! i will think of this story next time i fly and see clouds!