Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cereal Stencils




At the Latika Vihar after school program I finally gave my kids a break and brought some markers. We've been doing a lot of recycled art over here, and I thought it might be fun to bring some freshly bought materials. I did bring some Cereal Box Stencils to offer some fun shapes to play with, and I was impressed with the variety of pictures I got in return from the kids. I was also impressed with how each kid carefully remebered to put the caps back on the markers, in order to preserve the colors in the 2 boxes of markers I had brought.

I've also started using the wall of our outside classroom to display the kids work. This gave us a chance to talk about things, and the kids learned from each others styles. We critiqued and complimented all of the work, pointing out that no picture was "wrong"...just different. I've been encouraging the staff at all of the sites that I work at to put up more of the student's art work. It's such an easy way to motivate postive self esteem, as well as open up more opportunities to have fun dialogues with the kids.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: